Irish Independent Wednesday May 19th 1999
By MICHAEL QUINN
A FORMER child care worker who is serving a four-year prison sentence for indecently assaulting boys in an orphanage had a review of his sentence postponed for updated reports in Kilkenny Circuit Court yesterday.
Myles Brady (67), with an address at Griffith Avenue, Dublin, was given seven concurrent four-year sentences in June 1998.
The court was told that the victims were aged between 12 and 14 years of age and three of them resided in St Joseph's Orphanage, Waterford Rd., Kilkenny. One boy was a visitor and he was abused when he called to see friends.
Garda Sergeant John Tuohy, Kilkenny, said Brady worked in the orphanage from July 1976 to June 1977. During that time he sexually abused a number of children in his care.
Brady had worked in child care from 1965 until his retirement. Most of his working career was spent in England.
Barrister Brendan Grogan SC, for Brady, said his client had applied for the Sex Offenders Programme in Arbour Hill but no place was available. Of the 300 prisoners seeking places only 10 were available which was woefully inadequate.
Mr Grogan said his client was not a risk to young people anymore. The offences occurred over a period of 10 months more than 20 years ago and nothing since then had been alleged against him.
The review of his sentence after a year in custody gave him considerable hope.
Judge Olive Buttimer adjourned the case to Waterford Circuit Court in July for a probation report, a psychiatric assessment and a report from the Curragh Prison governor.
© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/