Ireland's Child Care Institutions during the 20th. Century. Fo'T: The most vivid and passionate stories - banished babies, cruel orphanages, old abuses of power - have concerned things that went unnoticed, or at least unarticulated, at the time. News has often had to be redefined, not as the latest sensation but as that which everybody knew all along yet could not say.
Friday, October 21, 2005
Howard transferred from North prison
A convicted rapist and murderer whom gardaí wish to question about a number of serious crimes has been transferred from Northern Ireland to a prison in England. 61-year-old Robert Howard was taken from Maghaberry Prison this afternoon and flown from Belfast to Newcastle.
The plane landed shortly before 4pm, and Howard was then driven to Frankland High Security Prison in Durham. Howard, originally from Wolfhill in Co Laois is serving a life sentence for murdering a 14-year-old Hannah Williams who disappeared from London in April 2001.
Her body was found 11 months later, 20 miles from her home, in dense undergrowth in Kent.
Howard was acquitted earlier this year of the murder of 15-year-old Arlene Arkinson who disappeared after accepting a lift from Howard in Co Tyrone in August 1994. The jury at his trial at Belfast Crown Court was not told about his previous convictions, including a ten-year sentence for raping a 58-year-old woman in Co Cork in 1973. Howard lived at a number of addresses throughout Ireland in the 1980s and 90s, including Wexford, Dublin, Newry, Monaghan, Castlederg and Letterkenny. Gardaí have formally requested permission from British authorities to travel and question Robert Howard in relation to the disappearances of a number of women as well as other serious incidents.
- ► 2007 (17)
- ► 2006 (40)
- Church is guilty of institutional criminality
- Abused men at risk of suicide, warns One In Four
- Unnamed priests ‘identified’ by Greek letters
- Ferns report: executive summary
- Judge Curtin inquiry 'would not make judgments'
- Senior Ferns priests call for bishop to stand down...
- Irish Times Cartoon
- Howard transferred from North prison
- Ferns priests named in litany of shame
- Ferns Inquiry 'spin' should stop, says O'Gorman
- Legal rip-off allegations a matter for gardai
- Too much heat, not enough light on rip-off lawyer ...
- The troubleshooter: his tough stance alienated som...
- 'Academy of debauchery' was feared by its victims
- Vatican in sex abuse cover-up
- The Bishop: Church keeps mum over disgraced prelat...
- Countdown to a scandal: how the evil unfolded
- FEAR & LOATHING IN MARINO
- IMAGINE - No code of ethics needed
- Church drops silence clause in sex payouts
- Trauma of Irish women used for sex acts by priests...
- ▼ October (21)